Meetings held: 3rd Thursday, 7:30 p.m. at the Fanwood Community House, Fanwood train station, Second Floor, 230 North Avenue
The Fanwood Environmental Commission is a statutory board of eight regular members and two alternates. The regular members include Liaison (Planning Board) & Liaison (Town Council).
Our charge includes studying and making recommendations concerning open space preservation, water resource management, air pollution control, solid waste management, noise control, soil and landscape protection, environmental appearance, and protection of flora and fauna.
We are also caretakers of the Fanwood Nature Center, located just off Cray Terrace under the power lines.
We promote the conservation, protection, development, or use of all Fanwood’s natural and water resources by:
- Planning & implementing local conservation programs as approved by the Town Council
- Compiling an Environmental Resource Inventory (ERI) compendium
- Making recommendations on all development plans before the Planning Board with a focus on how it would impact Fanwood’s natural and water resources and environment.
- Conducting Outreach programs to raise awareness on environmental issues as they affect our town.
- Advertising, preparing, and distributing materials necessary to implement the Commission’s activities
- Acting as the Township liaison for conservation needs with regional, state, and federal agencies
- Working with Boy and Girl Scouts and other youth and community groups to perform various environmentally-oriented projects throughout the town